Sunday 14 September 2014

Race for life: Pretty Muddy - Complete

Race for life: Pretty Muddy - Complete 

Today I have completed my 5K run. I do have to say I am proud to have completed this and it was a challenge for me.
After arriving this morning in time for the race which included me getting up and out of the house before 8am on a sunday. I arrived at the venue and met up with my work colleagues who I was running with. We all wore matching T-shirts.

Before:


Then we went into a holding area where an army style fitness guy got us warmed up. A lady then read out a very touching story about a recent cancer survivor to inspire everyone on their run. Then off we went, my group was split up as some of us wanted to run, some ran a bit and walked a bit and some walked. The first obstacle we all met together and this was where you realised your trainers were going to be full of wet muddy water. Then off we go again. The next obstacle was my downfall.



One of my colleagues decided it would be a good idea for me to take an early bath. All I can say was at less than 1k in I was drenched. Meaning I was not worried what other obstacles could have been thrown at me. 


The other kilometers passed, with running, walking and chatting along with the obstacles. Including a large netted A frame, muddy tunnels, bungee wires and lots of cargo nets to crawl under. 
A few stations were marshalled by mean people throwing more liquid mud over you to make sure you were well and truly drenched.


After:


At the end I was shattered, and the last part was uphill. This was where you climbed up the netting on an inflatable slide, and slid down into a final mud bath. Well I noticed the guys who were again throwing buckets of mud on you. I didn't notice that I was headed straight for it. The guy threw a bucket of muddy water straight into my face. He looked at me and said sorry as I don't think that was his aim. But by this point I was drenched and he could have been helping clean me down a little. 

We waited and cheered on the rest of our group as they crossed the finish line. Some of us were worse off than others.



So here I am a few hours later, after a 30 minute shower, 2 changes of clothes, ruined trainers and an achy body.

I am proud to have gone outside of my comfort zone. As I don't do running, don't do mud, and don't do early morning starts.

I wonder what my next challenge will be.

Speak Soon


Nic 

No comments:

Post a Comment